lsnrctl or new db connection is too slow

Hello everyone,

I know this is not new but I haven’t seen this problem for a long time and it takes a while to find out it.

A team leader (who is an elder brother to me) from the company I started to my first job called me and asked about a problem on their customer. Their customer complained about too slow db connection and no problem after the connection. first things first, I wanted to check database availability but because of some PATH problems (this was a Windows server) it took some time. after fixing environment variables, I finally reached out to database via local sysdba connection and database is up and running. also, connection was fast. by the way database was an 11.2 version which is quite old.

So, I started to focus on LISTENER. I first checked the status but “lsnrctl status”  command was quite slow. then I stopped and started again but these two operations was also slow. I checked the logfile under: $ORACLE_BASE/diag/tnslsnr/<SERVER_NAME>/<LISTENER_NAME>/trace but everything seemed ok! When I tried to logon via listener on the database server (using the net service name) it took around 70 seconds.

I started a listener trace (adding tracing parameters into sqlnet.ora file and restarting the listener) and tried to make a connection again. as soon as I issue my connection command (sqlplus username/pass@db) trace file is created. this means network connection was fast but while reading the trace file, after passing the connection information, listener was waiting for around 60-70 seconds.

I understand that network has no issue, connection arrives immediately but db connections and lsnrctl commands were slow. as I said I already checked, listener trace directory because I know that if listener.log file under trace directory has a big size, this could cause a slow operations on listener but it was around few megabytes. I checked few more things and finally I realized that I never checked “alert” directory under diag ($ORACLE_BASE/diag/tnslsnr/<SERVER_NAME>/<LISTENER_NAME>/alert) and when I opened it, there were over 1900 log.xml file which is the xml version of listener.log file. I deleted them all and it worked like a charm. Listener was checking all xml files to decide to write log data in which xml file. that was the cause and we were able to solve the problem.

Always check your listener log files and keep their size minimum as much as possible.

Wish you all healthy days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.