it has been a while since I posted. I lost a close relative to me and it wasn’t easy. So, let’s continue.
I run orachk on one my development databases yesterday and result was very informative. Interestingly, I had a “FAILED” check that indicates some of the datafiles are not recoverable! This is a serious issue so I checked. Check detail indicates result of the query below shouldn’t return a row:
select file#, unrecoverable_time, unrecoverable_change# from v$datafile
where unrecoverable_time is not null and unrecoverable_change# > 0;
and there were rows returned indeed. this database is not in force logging mode because it is just the development database and customer agrees with that. for out of curiosity I checked the production database and there were some datafiles returned from the query above. that concerns me. production database is in force logging mode . When I checked unrecoverable_time column, I realized that dates are really old and this is odd to me because I get full backup every day. How could these files be unrecoverable?
I run “report unrecoverable” command on RMAN and it shows nothing (for both production and development database). That is good but why those datafiles marked as unrecoverable and still listed as that way? if you do a unrecoverable operation on a table then, datafiles that those tables are stored in will be marked as unrecoverable in V$datafile.
of course, it is turned out this is a lack of knowledge of me about unrecoverable_time column on v$datafile. here is 19c documentation:
Timestamp of the last unrecoverable change. This column is updated only if the database is in
This column is “updated only”. so, if you did a unrecoverable operation like sqlloder direct load on a table, related datafile will be marked as unrecoverable and unrecoverable_time column will be updated on v$datafile. Even after a full backup, this won’t be updated back to null! it will just keep the last unrecoverable time information.
Better way to check unrecoverable datafiles could be this:
from v$datafile df, v$backup bk
and df.unrecoverable_change# <> 0
and df.UNRECOVERABLE_TIME >
where input_type in ('DB FULL' ,'DB INCR')
This also make me think why ORAchk runs the first query at all since it is not provide an exact information about unrecoverable datafiles. Maybe a minor bug or maybe still there is something that I don’t know.
Edit: I realized that I didn’t mention how to clear unrecoverable_time and unrecoverable_change# columns. it won’t be clear if you take a full (or any kind of) backup. these information is stored in control file and as I mentioned before, this column is only updated. So, you need to recreate your control file and this operation requires a shutdown.
Generate “create controlfile” statement, shutdown database, startup in nomount mode, recreate controlfile, recover database if needed and then open the database. one post step is to catalog recovery area because this new control file won’t have any recovery file information.
alter database backup controlfile to trace as ‘/tmp/my_control_file2.ctl’ noresetlogs ;
create controlfile … — use noresetlogs option for not to loose any data
alter database open;
thanks for reading. wish you all healthy, happy days.